Wednesday 24 September 2014

Black Eyes, Blue Days, Bi-Centenary Celebrations and 34,944 Hours

Changing Faces


Goodness where do I begin today?
I would say as in the infamous line “let’s start at the very beginning, a very good place to start” but that doesn’t seem appropriate. My life is a constant journey of twists and turns and this post will probably follow suit.
Today I have assumed the position in the back of the house in my kitchen room/conservatory where the morning light is bright and the sound and freshly laundered smells coming from the tumble dryer envelope me in all thoughts of home. I am bruised, battered and tired from another prolonged attack yesterday but after 4 hours sleep I am in mum mode cajoling, screaming and pushing Mark and the children out of the door for the day.
My girls are asleep beside me making the odd movement as they chase rabbits in their dreams. The day has a slight ash colouring to it heralding colder weather will soon be here.
The weather was exactly the same this time 4 years ago when I fell ill. I remember it well as I first started to feel off colour as I was enjoying lunch on the local seafront with Mark and my Dad. It seems a world away that happened yesterday.  The sun beating down, a soft breeze and laughter.
Overnight something happened that changed our world forever. Our normality became completely abnormal and our safe zone was one of panic for others. It has been said that you do not know your own strength until facing real adversity. Little did I know that I would be facing mine every day. That was 34,944 hours…not to many if you say it really quickly.
So here I am, four years, almost to the day, later with the biggest battle yet to come.  We have fought bureaucratic minefields, red tape that has tied us up in loops and medical barriers. Mark and I have challenged all decisions, goods and bad, to ensure that the best possible outcome is achieved.  It is extremely tiring and I look over at my once fresh faced husband who looks tired, worried and worn. But is you look closer he still has the warmth, the twinkle of humour, fight and love holding us all together. I thank my stars for him every day. Lesser men would have walked away but this amazing bloke has been by my side all the way and ensures that I have a fighting chance.
At the moment we are waiting for the phone to trill with news of the stem cell bone marrow transplant (which from this moment I shall call the autologous graft, it’s easier to type). Whilst waiting, due to a frustrating change in the funding process, we have realised what a risky procedure it is and that even a black eye can make all the difference ( I will come on to that later). The delay meant that I got to spend the summer holidays with my two ruffians, watching them chill out, break bones, laze away the days and general keep me on my toes.
During my time I have been very fortunate to have been supported even during the most difficult of circumstances.  My parents have been amazing, event to the point of taking the Rugrats on their summer holiday abroad…..twice….suckers for punishment!!!! My Dad is constantly up at Resus with me passing he time playing “Eye Spy” and other  inane games to pass the time and stop our brains registering the severity of what is going on. This is the man who once made me run out of hospital after a tonsillectomy, flowers bouncing behind me, because he hated hospitals…..how things have changed Dad?
My constant buddies. Caz, Philly, Lisa, Pip, Debs  and Tons instinctively know what to say to me.
Boo’s second family, Berta, Becky and Aimless who wrap her up in their arms when ever needed. I’ve mentioned Caz but she also needs recognition for taking Jake under her wing as well as her and Philly grabbing Boo at the last minute and having her sleep at theirs. All to try and keep my kids sane and in a routine.
There are many other who have helped over the years. It wouldn’t be right if I didn’t mention those who were there for me in the early days. I have to say thank you to Jax Gates who gave up her time and supported me in the early confusion.
To “celebrate” the 200th admission to A&E I took up the promised cakes and card to the team. Then Boo and I did the same for the local Paramedics. I thanked them for their patience and care and explained without them I am not sure if I would have made it this far. They have all, and I mean all, been involved and are as much a part of the journey as anyone else.
Then we come on the my FB buddies, there are so many of you I am afraid to miss anyone but there are a couple who make me laugh out loud even in the darkest  hours.  Sadie you do it every time as well as you “prove it man”. Kath , you make this Kim cackle at regular intervals. Everyone at VUK have and continue to support me so I thank them too. I cannot miss off my very own neon pink bus wanker, Grimesy!!!!

3 weeks later
I’ve been joined in the fight by friends, some have fallen, breaking my heart in the process and others continue to fight their private battles in the overall war. They have left a mark on my soul, as well as on my finger ….KTF x

Right, black eye!!!!  I said it would come back to it. It’s one of those stories that seem impossible. On a passing whim, always dangerous, Boo and I decided to pop into a well know home improvement store. We were having a nice time pottering about when I had the “bright” idea to have a look at some carpet tiles. All was going well when “CRACK”!!!!!! one fell from the top shelf and the hit my cheek bone.  “Its only a carpet” tile I hear you think. Yep that is what I thought until I saw the reaction of both Boo and Staff…….to put this way it was a close call on whether she had broken my cheek bone….. I was not a pretty picture.  The poor duty manager looked like he was going to faint, even more so when I went back the next day with my eye and cheek the colour of squid ink…..4 weeks later I still look like I’ve done 4 rounds with Mike Tyson. Poor old Mark has been getting funny sideways looks wherever we go….another line for his brow I think.
While I sit here in the calm of the house laughing at the memories I am typing it is hard to imagine that I get blue days, or as my Dad calls them the “why me?” days.  I am looking around the room at my ramshackle house that would never win any “show room” title and see that it is not held together with bricks and mortar but love and resilience.  I am seated at the computer table sandwiched between the fridge and the bookcase. The latter filled with DVDs and books but topped with sports trophies that the children have won. Cycle helmets lay nearby from all three of my ruffians. Little trinkets the children have made over the years. The fridge is adorned with hand written letters, photos, paintings and a recent addition of a get well card from Holland. The dogs sofa is behind me with both dogs wound up like little coils, noses tucked in, snoring.  Even through the shouting, eyebrow raising and general teenage/youth angst this house is one of love.  I left it to get married, hobbled over the threshold to have both my children then bounced back with them in my arms. It was my haven when I fell ill, and optimises the word “Home”.
I will be leaving it soon for treatment and not returning for some time. I also face the risk of not returning. It is during the blue days that this pops into my thoughts. I have a quick grizzle then brush myself down and move on.  I strongly believe that half the battle is attitude. I have always been extremely stubborn and this had really helped me over the past 4 years.
With up and coming events my posts maybe short or even missing. I hope to resume the video blogs to bring awareness to autologous grafts for people who have auto-immune diseases. It won’t be pretty but fingers crossed it will raise the profile.
Being very “Chemille” like and dramatic, with a slight swoon, if this is the last post then all I can say is that I have had a blast. I have probably laughed and packed more into the last four years than most people. I have found an inner strength that I didn’t know I had and hope I have passed the “never give in” attitude to Boo and Jake. I have learnt to walk away from the incidental and not focus on things that bring me down.  I have found new friends, reunited with others, let friends go and realised what is truly important.

The future??? Who knows??? It won’t be boring or mundane.  It will be a fight but even then I foresee funny moments and times of tears. I will continue to flit between my two personas, Sarah and Gracie-Lou. I hope to grow old completely ungracefully, maybe some more ink Mr Gilbert?

 One thing is for sure…… I will be adorned with glorious handbags and fabulous shoes x

Until next time fellow HUVS facebookers

Signing out for now……xxxxxx









No comments:

Post a Comment